Friday, November 13, 2015

Friday Flourish: Schism

Happy Friday Everyone!

I'm hugely excited today to share the cover for the second installment of Jenna Black's Gifted series, Schism. Jenna is one of the clients I have thanks entirely to this blog as I was lucky enough to meet her at an event I was covering in Cincinnati, and the timing couldn't have been more perfect because she just happened to need a designer for her new series. I'm so grateful to her for taking a chance on me early in my cover design career as the two we've done together are all-time favorites.

I've talked a few times about how second books in a series can be a little tricky in terms of design, something that seems counter-intuitive given having an already established aesthetic should in theory make the process run more smoothly. In this particular case though that's exactly how things went, and we arrived at a final design in what felt like record time. Jenna had a clear idea of what she wanted and how this cover should set itself apart from The Gifted Dead despite the main ouroboros symbol remaining the primary focus, so after only a few color tweaks to the initial comp we found ourselves with finished artwork.

Before I get to Schism though, here is a quick reminder of The Gifted Dead:

THE GIFTED DEAD


Politics and magic make dangerous bedfellows.
 
Deep within the Order, the seeds of corruption have taken root. While younger generations of the Gifted have embraced modern democratic values, a secret society of old-guard zealots seek a return to the past, when only European men of distinguished bloodlines held power.
 
Now, three venerable European families and a maverick American each plot to seize control of the Order and shape it to their will. A cutthroat game of political intrigue will decide the winner; and the stakes couldn't be higher, for ruling the Order carries with it the power to grant—or deny—an afterlife.
 
What begins as a battle of wills could turn into an all-out war. And magic could prove deadlier than any missile.



 And now for SCHISM!!!
(releases November 18th) 

 

As his power grows, so does his malice.
No one is safe. No one can fight back ...

...But they can die trying.
Unforgiving and power-maddened Alberto di Tommaso threatens to take over all of Europe with his iron fist and sinister magic, endangering the very existence of the Gifted. As Alberto's influence and his vile agenda spread, the rebel Patriarch, Matt Landy, and some unlikely allies must stop him before he provokes a war the Gifted cannot win. But with Congress and Homeland Security starting to turn against the American Gifted, the conflict is destined to be greater than any of them imagines. This time, good may not stand a chance against an evil so toxic. 
 

But they will fight.

 Find Jenna:


Jenna is running a giveaway for The Gifted Dead at All Things Urban Fantasy, be sure and pop by to enter!

• • • • • • • • • • • 

If you want to see more of my work, you can check out my full portfolio online at Seedlings Design Studio!

34 comments:

  1. I seriously ADORE these covers!! They might seem deceptively simple but they have that texture to them that really makes them pop and stand out!!

    I really need to get me these books! BRILLIANT JOB as always Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pili! I've had such fun working on these:)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I've never heard of The Gifted Dead but it sounds so good! The cover of Schism is also super pretty :) Thanks for sharing!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, so glad you like both covers!!!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Awesome covers! I love both and how they go together. Well done, Jenny. Thanks for sharing these with us and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! I'm really proud of both of these:)

      Delete
  4. OMG! I loved the first cover, but the tones of the second cover are amazing. I love the colors especially. I need to pick up this series, Jenny. I'm glad Holly took a chance on you because you've only grown to be even more amazing at what you did.
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! I really love the colors in Schism as well, and I'm learning so much with each project:)

      Delete
  5. I love it! The texture is amazing Jenny! So freaking talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I LOVE it! I like how both have a texture but they are different but still 'match'. And the colors are fantastic. Perfection, once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candace!!!! We definitely wanted them to be different but look as though they went together, and heavy texture was a good way to do that:)

      Delete
  7. Whoa. Love the colors. Both covers are just awesome, I like how the first one looks like it is a cloth cover on an old book and the second just pops! Awesome as always, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I enjoyed the first book and I need this one. I LOVE that cover of Schism! I just love those colors and that texture! Amazing work as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *happy dance* So glad you love them Melissa!

      Delete
  9. Oh I remember the first cover! The second is the perfect compliment. Amazing as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aylee, I had so much fun with these:)

      Delete
  10. OMG. These are too gorgeous for words, Jenny! I think they're my favourite so far. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love these!! The texture is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just LOVE the darker color scheme! It's so, so beautiful and completely unique, too. It isn't the typical blend of those colors that we usually see, or the same shades, really. Gorgeous, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gads these covers are awesome. I need to try the this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh the color looks awesome! I wish it was a little different, but it looks great! I kind of understand the importance of the mark on the book. Love the name

    ReplyDelete
  15. HOLY SHIZZZ that new cover is absolutely smashing! O_O I just love the texture behind and the leaves (vines?) that slither in some places. Makes it look really menacing :D :D :D PLEASE TEACH ME YOUR DESIGNING WAYS, MASTER!!! :Q_____ << that's me drooling, by the way.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, yes, the 1st book looks great, but I'm seriously LOVING Schism.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved book one's design with its intense colors, fonts, and symbol - BUT, wow, book two is amazing!! I love the light coming through ouroboros
    symbol :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is not my genre, so I’m not sure I’ll be picking this series. But COVERS ARE GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete