Friday, June 28, 2013

Character Interview: Zubis + The Genie Ignites


I'm excited today to introduce author Kellyann Zuzulo and her adult paranormal romance, The Genie Ignites, with a behind the scenes interview with the genie himself, Zubis. The Genie Ignites is a finalist in the Abalone Awards for "Outstanding Ethno-Cultural Romance" so I'm thrilled to give you guys a little inside look at this one, I hope you enjoy!

Our reporter caught up to Zubis via satellite in the desert, in a section known as the Empty Quarter or Rub-al-Khali, an area notorious for genie activity. It is the legendary portal to the world of Jinnistan. He appears quite comfortable sitting on a folding canvas chair in a steel-gray linen tunic, open at the neck, and pair of loose, white, gauzy trousers. [In this reporter’s objective opinion, he is devastatingly handsome.]

Reporter: Is it hot there at the edge of the Rub-al-Khali in Saudi Arabia, Mr. Zubis?

Zubis:
[eyebrow goes up] Just Zubis, please. Yes, it can be quite hot. Especially when the lovely Bethany O’Brien stands close.

R: What are you doing in the desert, Zubis?

Z: [appears solemn, though those curlicue glyphs, barely covered by a fall of dense black hair along his brow, have begun to glow.] I await the arrival of Bethany. Only she can liberate me from my 3,000 years of bondage. I was condemned in the time of Solomon and have waited 3,000 years for her to return…. [a glint returns to his golden eyes.]

R: Eh…return? How old is she exactly?

Z: Well, in this incarnation, she is a delectable 32 years old. But her heart first belonged to me when she roamed the earth as the Asima Uruk in the time of Solomon.

R: So what happened to her?

Z: [The rugged lines across his brow deepen with concern.] She died. I was cursed and could not save her.

R: Wow. That’s sad. Now what?

Z: She will come. I will remind her of what we once had and she will be mine again. [He brings his fingers to his lips and his gaze is distant for a moment.]

R: Sounds pretty straightforward. What’s the hold-up?

Ouch! Was that an electrical shock that you just shot at me?!

Z: Hold-up? [He rises to his feet. He is quite large.] Have you ever stood bent against the fury of a harmattan, the gritty West African trade wind, as it bites into your flesh? Have you flicked a scorpion from your ankle before it could strike? Have you felt the unmitigated fury of a female jinni as she uses her wicked wiles to betray your true love? Have you ever lost everything you cared about until only the hope of love remains?

R: Um, no.

Z: Then you should read The Genie Ignites. [He winks and seats himself.]

R: Well, um. Geez. What was I saying? [fanning self] Any wishes left in those snazzy trousers of yours?

Z: [His gaze is steady] I think I could pull one more out…

R: Okay, that’s a wrap! [Speaking to someone off camera: Book me on the next flight to the desert!]

Z: Hold on, lovely. No need to fly. We have the power of the jinn at our disposal. With a flick of your finger, you can download my chronicle and I will meet you there.

R: You got it, handsome! Somebody download The Genie Ignites to my smart phone STAT!

Join me as I fly first class on Genie Air, glass of champagne in hand and nibbling a savory serving of honey-and-currant couscous. Hurry along, now. The second book in Zubis’s series, The Genie Smolders, releases later this month from Boroughs Publishing Group.

Best Wishes,

Kellyann Zuzulo

• • • • • • • • • • 

KELLYANN ZUZULO


 A Philadelphia native, Kellyann Zuzulo received a bachelor's degree in journalism from Temple University and has lived in London, Ireland, Boston and Washington, D.C. She has worked as a reporter for local newspapers and as a writer for Yankee Magazine and national consumer and health magazines; as a book development editor; as a media relations representative; and as a director of communications for nonprofits. Her interest in Middle Eastern mythology and legend stems from her stint as a Managing Editor of Publications for the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Washington, D.C. She is a published author of several genie romance novellas. One book, Angels & Genies, was included in a collection for which Charlaine Harris wrote the foreword. Kellyann lives in Pennsylvania with her husband, three children, and a jaunty terrier named Djin-Djin.


• • • • • • • • • • 

THE GENIE IGNITES


Girl meets genie. They fall in love. Girl gets killed. Genie gets cursed. Three millennia later, she’s reincarnated as a smart, somewhat sardonic 21st century editor who can’t remember the great love of her existence. The genie however, will never forget her.

Bethany O’Brien is a 21st century woman with a career, ambition and bills. She has no recollection of how she once felt about a nearly 4,000-year-old genie named Zubis who suddenly invades her world, but he certainly remembers her. In a previous incarnation, Bethany was an important temple priestess who apprenticed to the djinn. Zubis, powerful and alluring, is infuriatingly bemused by Bethany’s skepticism. Once upon a time, he vowed to love her forever and has no plans of breaking his vow. And although the priestess she once was had been taught that a romance with a djinni must never be, Bethany gradually realizes that her love for Zubis cannot be forgotten. Along with the returning glimmers of her past life, Bethany is forced to confront a mandate from an ancient society to kill the genie of her dreams. 

21 comments:

  1. Hehe, what a fun Interview!!! And I love the idead of Genies as a paranormal creature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I've only read one other book about a genie and loved it, so I'm definitely ready for more!

      Delete
  2. I admit, I haven't read much about Genies, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read much about them either, they're a fairly untapped paranormal entity:)

      Delete
  3. I must ask Jenny does your husband know for this interview? I think I know the answer ;) Anyway you always have such a great interviews and I'm sure Zubis won't forget you that easily ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha he does not, but I would only get a head shake and an eye roll most likely. Plus, I didn't come up with these questions, so I can't be held accountable for anything ;-)

      Delete
  4. Loved this book and can't wait to get my hands on the next! Would be a great movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3000 years of bondage? Goodness, that sounds better than it must have been. I love the idea of love surviving for millennia. It's the hopeless romantic in me that is attracted to the idea. What can I say, I've tried to both drown and poison the bitch, but she refuses to die.

    What a fun interview.
    Also, I'm back and I missed youuuuu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY MAJA!!!!! I was just getting ready to write you an email to check in, I missed you! I'm a hopeless romantic as well, so we can both hurt for Zubis and swoon over him for his long wait for Bethany.

      Delete
  6. LOL! *fans self* Um. I'll take one ticket to ride on the Jinn Express! (Even though he's in a lot of shadow -- a shame, I say -- this would make a nice Top Off Tuesday cover!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIKEWISE! I think we should all take a little trip...

      Delete
  7. Sexy genies for the win Aman! Can't wait to get to spend more time with Zubis:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't remember the Genie having abs like that in Aladdin. I would have remember them!

    Also, I'm curious about the djinn angle. I haven't seen that explored in fiction much. And speaking of explore? Baaacck to the abs. *stares*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummm hi...would it be inappropriate for me to mention that I wanted to lick his abs? Yes? No? Well, either way, he sounds like a hot tamale, and I'll get onboard anything he is...wait...you know what I mean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can always count on you to introduce me to new books, Jenny! You've piqued my interest with this interview so I'll have to give it a shot I think. Thanks for sharing, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa... sexy hot cover... that looks like a worthy top of Tuesday candidate! Happy weekend Jenny! Fun interview.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh sounds like a book I would enjoy. Hot Djinn? Oh yes, please. :D Unfortunately, I know I would end up with some creepy djinn if I ever found one. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want a Djinn! All the books I would wish for

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice interview. Not sure about the cover. Doesn't really capture me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a fun interview, and I don't think I've ever had a crush on a Djinn before, so I think it's high time I started. :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete