Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Guest Post: Fisher Amelie + The Understorey

Today I have the pleasure of welcoming author Fisher Amelie to the blog to share with us a fun interview between her and one of the characters from her young adult release The Understorey. So glad to have you on Supernatural Snark Fisher and Elliott!



Okay, so my name is Elliott Gray. I'm sorry to bother you and everything but the author of my story, Fisher Amelie? Heard of her? No? This is her, up above. Still no? If you don't recognize that worried mug, it's okay, it's kind of why I agreed to do this. Anyway, she asked me to interview her for this guest blog post thingie and since I owe her big time and all for getting my girl and I together, I couldn't say no. I've never done anything like this before so, yeah.

Here goes nothing....

Me: Fisher! What's up, dude? How have you been?


Fisher: Uh, I'm doing well, Elliott. Thank you for asking. How have you been?


Me: You're asking me how I've been? You write me, for gosh sakes! You would probably know better than I would. Sheesh.


Fisher: *clears throat* Oh, that's right. Sorry. I suppose you could be better.


Me: Thanks for reminding me.


Fisher: Sorry.


Me: It's okay. Listen, let's get this show on the road. Tell me why you're such a colossal dork.


Fisher: Elliott!


Me: Just kidding. Seriously, you are a dork but I love you, regardless. You're a goof but in a fun way.


Fisher: Thanks?


Me: Alright, so how long did it take you to write The Understorey?


Fisher: Approximately seven months.


Me: Holy schnikes! That's a long time.


Fisher: Is it? Well, it takes me a bit longer to write my books.


Me: Why? Slow typer?


Fisher: No, you cheeky little monkey! I have a two year old son. It's sort of difficult to find the time.


Me: Hmm. Dude, I had no idea. You think you know a person.


Fisher: I'm also married.


Me: Crikey! Maybe we shouldn't talk about me so much in our get togethers. I feel like I know nothing about you.


Fisher: It's alright. If I didn't talk to you about your crazy life where would I get my subject matter?


Me: Good point. Hey, I've always wanted to ask you something.


Fisher: Go on.


Me: Did ya' have to make me so darn tall? Six foot four is sort of embarrassing. People are always staring and gawking.


Fisher: They stare and gawk because you're a hottie, Elliott. Jeez. Would you like me to write your admirers out?


Me: Maybe. I mean, would you?


Fisher: Nope.


Me: Why'd you even ask then?!


Fisher: I don't know. Because you're being sort of bratty?


Me: Nyuck, nyuck, Fisher.


Fisher: Stop saying that. You say that entirely too much. Jules doesn't like it all that much, either.


Me: Seriously? She's never said anything.


Fisher: That's because she's too nice.


Me: You're right. She is. Dang. Okay, mental note: Stop saying 'nyuck'.


Fisher: Elliott, can we get on with this?


Me: *sighs* Alright, for those who don't know, what's your book, my story, The Understorey about?


Fisher: It's a supernatural romance about two teenagers fated for the other. It's sort of a thriller romance.


Me: You forgot to mention what a jerk Sawyer Tuttle is.


Fisher: He is not a jerk, Elliott. He's actually quite nice. You just don't like him all that much because he gives off the impression that he likes Jules.


Me: He does like Jules! He does!


Fisher: Okay, Elliott. If the unfortunate readers of this supposed interview are interested in The Understorey, I'll be sure to attach a link at the end letting them know where to find a more in depth description.


Me: Okay, that's cool. I guess I could stop losing track. Tell me, how did you come up with the name of the novel?


Fisher: Oh, this is cool. Okay, so I knew the book was going to be set in Bramwell, West Virginia and the area has the most beautiful forest. Plus, nature plays such a massive role in all four books of the series, I decided to find something that could relate to both the theme and its scenery.
 I researched what makes up a forest and found that it can be divided into layers much like the ocean or the inside of the earth. From bottom to top, you will find the undergrowth, the understorey, the canopy, and the emergents. Essentially, the life and how the plants in each layer thrive are indicative of the theme of each book. Although, the third and fourth book will be sold as one. The name of the series is 'The Leaving Series'. There's a double meaning in that, tee hee. 'The Leaving Series' is The Understorey, The Canopy, The Undergrowth and The Emergent, in that order.


Me: Get out of town! I had no idea.


Fisher: Well, you never asked.


Me: All true. So, are you writing The Canopy right now?


Fisher: No, I...


Me: WHAT?!?! Why?!


Fisher: Well, because I wanted some time to pass between books so I could come back fresh.


Me: Oh, man! Fisher! I have to wait to find out what happens?


Fisher: Yeah, just like everybody else.


Me: No! Not quite. You're forgetting the part where this is my life.


Fisher: Yeah, but you're fictional. Plus, you'll be happier with the results now that I've stepped away.


Me: Fictional! Fictional! After all we've been through? I can't believe you said that, Fisher. I'm slightly offended which is strange because you determine my moods. *sighs* Well, are you even writing?


Fisher: Gimme' a break, Elliott! If I didn't write, I'd go nuts. Right now I'm working on a young adult romance, I have yet to name, about two orphans who are forced from their foster homes because they suffer the 'eighteen disease'. They're thrown out with practically nothing but a few dollars and the clothes on their back. Both in desperate situations, they run into one another at social services and are instantly captivated by the other. They decide to rely on one another since 'two heads are better than one' but just when it seems they're making headway, crazy, crazy, crazy things begin to happen to them.


Me: Wow. I'd read it.


Fisher: You'd read anything. You read everything you can get your hands on.


Me: I know. I appreciate that, by the way. It's a good trait to have.


Fisher: Agreed.


Me: So, Fisher?


Fisher: Yes, dear?


Me: Jules just texted me.


Fisher: *sighs* Just go.


Me: Alright, love you.


Fisher: Love you too, goof. Tell Jules I miss our girl talks.


Me: I will.


Elliott exits. *crickets chirp*

Okay, so he's gone and that leaves just you and me. I apologize for that. He has no idea what he's doing but he's such a good guy. I'm glad he belongs to me. Good chap.

*taps nails on desk* You know what'd I'd wrestle a bear for right now? Milk and a few chocolate chip cookies. *looks around* I suppose I'll settle for these measly carrot sticks Elliott laid out for me. That must have been Jules' doing. Hmph. I'm in the mood for something sweet, though.

Oh, dash it all! Let's just share an apple pie together on my Facebook Fan Page or @fisheramelie on Twitter. Darn the calories! I'll leave a few slices on Goodreads too, if you'd rather visit me there.

Also, I think I hid a candy bar on my website at www.fisheramelie.com

Find Elliott's and Julia's story at Amazon

Find Elliott's and Julia's story at Barnes and Noble
Watch their trailer

P.S. Why is a raven like a writing desk?

THE UNDERSTOREY (from Goodreads)

Elliott Gray is incomplete, scrambling through the dark on his hands and knees, blindly feeling for the switch it would take to bring the peace he's forever been searching for.

Julia Jacobs is unhappy, missing a noticeable piece of her soul, a naked canvas with vivid paints at her disposal but no brush to assemble the vision.

At a young age, courtesy of an unknowing Elliott Gray, Julia tastes the burn of heartache and since then, has silently vowed to her heart that it would never be susceptible to such pain again but when Julia and Elliott discover they share a supernatural connection that's never been revealed before, Elliott makes it his life's goal to convince her they are fated. He knows, if she only gave him but one chance to prove himself, she would not be afraid but when Elliott's best friend Jesse Thomas turns out to be much more than meets the eye, it's all Elliott can do to hold on to his new love, while attempting to survive an enormous threat on their future.

30 comments:

  1. Can someone please tell Elliot there's nothing wrong with being tall? It's a good thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great interview and the book looks amazing!

    Kristin @ Better Read Than Dead

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that was fun! Elliot is cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool. I never knew a forest had layers. Very interesting. I like the double meaning.

    And Elliot... Tall and Hot. That is like my favorite combo. *giggles*

    I love the idea of soul mates and fate. Thanks for this fun interview and for introducing me to this title! Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome interview! I love it when characters interview each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being 5'12" myself, I can understand. hadn't heard of this book before. It's only .99 on amazon so I'm totally getting it! Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun and zany interview. I love Elliott and really want to read Understorey. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, I always like interviews like this. Much more fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a very fun interview! I love when authors do character interviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! Elliot sounds like a hoot. He seems like he has no filter. Always makes for fun characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is 6'4" really tall for a guy? I like tall *drools* Elliot sounds HAWT! *clears throat* Me thinks I'd like this book. Also, I had no idea that forests had layers. I like the thought of it. I also love character interviews. I think it shows a side of the book we don't always get to see. :D

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, what a fun interview! And Fisher's author photos is pretty interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this interview!!! I can't wait to look for this series!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the interview and very interested in the book! Characters sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elliot sounds like a fun character. And I love that cover! Great interview, Jenny, it certainly has me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a riot! Is the book as fun as the interview. I hope she has just as much fun with her characters in the story. I like how she came up with the title. Neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, YES... I DEFINITELY need to read this! Like right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview! Seeing how Elliott is in this interview makes me want to read more about him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've not heard of this series or the book before, but the premise is interesting and I love the way the Amelie came up with the book and series titles.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Fisher: Is it? Well, it takes me a bit longer to write my books.


    Me: Why? Slow typer?
"-my favorite line! :) Great litter interview!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds so cute! Really enjoyed this interview! Btw "Why is a raven like a writing desk? " The answer is always 42. ;)

    Oh and ...missing a noticeable piece of her soul, a naked canvas with vivid paints at her disposal but no brush to assemble the vision. LOVE that!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This interview is hilarious!! LOL The book sounds really good. Two teens fated for one another?? Oooh! Great interview, Jenny. =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL,, Elliot really says what he's thinking, doesn't he? He sounds like a hilarious character. I'm always up for a romantic thriller. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This interview cracked me up. And there's totally nothing wrong with being tall! I love tall. Great cover and premise -- think I'm adding another to my wishlist. Yay!
    Mary @ BookSwarm

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, that was an interesting interview! Took me a minute to figure out who was who, but it's funny to see a character talking to an author! Sounds like a great story! *Sigh* just when I promised I would read what I have....Like that will ever happen!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds interesting. I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you all so very much for the most wonderful comments! You all amuse me! Now, dance! The lot of you!

    p.s. Melissa (Books and Things), I totally got that Hitchiker's reference.

    "It's unpleasantly like being drunk," Ford said. "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?" Arthur answered. "You ask a glass of water," Ford replied.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lol, fun interview. I have this one waiting to be read and reviewed and am looking forward to it because of Fisher's humour :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this interview! I think I like it more because I've read Understorey (BTW - it is great, go read it now!). I think Fisher is an awesome author and like Elliot, I want the next book to be written because I want to know what happens!

    Thanks for the awesome writing, Fisher!

    -Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yeah so I'm like waitin for the next one to come out and it is taking way too long like it needs to come out sooner because I really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete